Thursday, March 31, 2005

Last few days in NY

Thank God I had a few more good days after my mugging. Hopefully going to try to keep that out of my mind.

I saw two great Broadway musicals - Dame Edna (hilarious!) and Altar Boyz (really funny). Altar Boyz is really funny too - based on the idea of a Catholic boy band. That idea in itself was hilarious. At first, I was a bit worried that it would be like a boy band concert, but the subtle undercurrents of plots was really cleverly done. I thought that I might be offended, esp with such topics like religion, but they handled it really well, I think. They also sing so much better than any boy band out there! Looking forward to their soundtrack coming out.


"Contrary to what some may surmise, you need not be a 15-year-old girl from Westchester to have a great time at Altar Boyz, the new musical spoof of Christian pop music and teenage boy bands... this 90-minute romp [is] where sexy, but chaste, young hip-hoppers shake their hot cross buns in tight pants while preaching the dangers of loose morals.

Take me, a 45-year-old childless and straight Upper West Side male without cable who couldn't name a single tune by In Sink... I'm sure there were plenty of references that passed over my head ... but still I laughed my secular butt off.

And yet you can disregard all of that and just kick back with director Stafford Arima's non-stop production that keeps the giddiness soaring at an unholy pace. Either way, I bet there won't be a dry pew in the house."


article here.

I think my favorite NY moment this time was ice skating in Rockefeller Center. It was a beautiful day my last day in NY, with the sun shining and an incredibly hot day of high 50 degrees.

Another favorite NY moment: sipping a teanyccino from moby's cafe, teany. What's a teanyccino, u ask? "A blend of toasted flowers, and cornflower blossoms, served with steamed milk or soymilk" YUM, very addicting. It was served to me by a woman who has a faux-hawk. I finally saw what a faux-hawk looked like. ;)

Back to reality with nephro discussion section this morning, along with laundry and bills. woohoo.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

"We are the Altar Boyz...we're gonna alter your mind!"

Jennifer said...

btw, the link is the wrong link for the Altar Boyz website...it's supposed to be "www.altarboyz.com" not "www.altarboyS.com"

jolene said...

ah thanks, i got confused with the spelling. all fixed now - check out the videos!