Monday, March 28, 2005

a classic NY moment
times square
statue of liberty
empire state building
seeing a celebrity
being mugged...?

yes, a few nights ago, I got robbed involving several guys... one of the scariest experiences in my life. A guy basically grabbed my purse from behind, and dragged the purse (and me clinging on to it reflexively ) across the subway station floor until all of a sudden, I realized I was being mugged and he might have a weapon, and I just let go. (I still think I would have won that tug-of-war.) I have to realize how lucky I was - I luckily had my camera in my other hand (some pictures are irreplaceable!), and miraculously, my cell phone popped out of my purse and some ppl in the subway, after the mugging, returned it to my sister. Also, my most recent purchases were in my other hand, so they were saved too. (shallow, I know, but right now, I'm looking at every detail optimistically, incl my $40 nicole miller dress i just bought). I was really really lucky, but unluckily targeted at the same time. There was nothing I could control, and yet I really felt like God was with me at the time. If I were to be mugged, I guess this is the way I would have preferred to have done it (rather than at gunpoint, etc.) But it was still REALLY scary, and after he took my purse, I just ran away from him as fast as I could and pictured myself NEVER leaving my sis's apartment again.

Despite all of this, we had the most help I could have wanted. The NYPD were really helpful and were the *nicest* group of people. Their response was super quick and ended up finding the four guys involved, and I really felt like they were on our side, trying to protect the public from being robbed. (My friend thinks it's b/c we were twin girls, but whatever ;) They were extremely reassuring, and made sure I was ok, and even gave us a ride home at 3 am and offered to buy us coffee.

In the end, not everything turned out the way I wanted to, but I still have to trust that everything will turn out well. It took us about two days to really get over this - I'm venturing out on my own for the first time tomorrow. It should be fine. Apparently, there were three days in a row where Asian girls were targeted, all in the same area, within one block of each other. So be careful, girls...

Jen found a really good website with tips for not being mugged: here. So my advice is, don't let it stop you from coming to NY, but it never hurts to be prepared for the worst. My last trip here, I was COMPLETELY paranoid about being mugged, and this time, I really let my guard down. It never hurts to keep $20 and ur cell phone in ur pocket in case something happens.

Overall, thankfully I got out physically unhurt, with a bruised left knee and a shaken sense of stability. Can thunder ever strike twice? I really hope not.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

only Thunder from Down Under can strike twice!

jolene said...

thanks for putting a near-porn link on my chaste yet tasteful blog.