Monday, January 15, 2007

Limited Edition




so i've never really been swept up on the limited edition craze, until really this year. i blame all the beauty websites that i recently gotten addicted to. the chanel nail polish, noir ceramic (and its matte cousin, black satin), is the biggest limited edition item this year. Due to the celebrity exposure, this $18 bottle has been selling for over $350 on ebay earlier this season, and sarah michelle gellar has been stealing these items at a party, and testers at all chanel counters are being stolen as well, like at the counter at south coast plaza that we went to over christmas break. More hype on other websites here and #14 here hasn't helped either.

At any rate, my sis and I started hunting for this nail polish in Irvine, Pasadena, L.A., and San Diego. We didn't see it anywhere, but up in nor cal, after one failed attempt at nordstrom where they told me that they were getting no more shipments in and thus were not taking any names for a wait list, I went to one more Macy's and they had three bottles left! I promptly picked up two of them. If Jen doesn't want my second bottle, does anybody want it? :)

Another item that hasn't been as limited, but still in high demand and sold out on the website and on the nordstrom website, is MAC's Lightscapade, another favorite of beauty bloggers as well (#20 favorite item of the year, here). I went to the MAC counter where of course, there was no tester, but the worker there managed to dig up one last Lightscapade left in the corner of the drawer. I didn't get to try it since there was no tester, but she assured me it was beautiful, as well as the recommendations that I've read everywhere online. I'm sure I can return it or sell it on ebay if I don't like it. (I highly doubt I won't like it)

To be honest, if these items weren't limited edition, I'm just wondering how much would I have really wanted them? The Lightscapade is beautiful and something I can wear everyday, but the Noir Ceramic is a bit out there, altho very cute on short nails (long nails make you look more like Elvira). I almost decided not to even go looking for it, because I *had* to justify it somehow to myself. So I told myself I'd buy it if it helps me not to bite my nails, a bad habit I've had for a long time. As beauty addict said, having a limited edition item that's so hard to get a hold of is thrilling, and makes me feel slightly mischievous.

I'm glad I was able to find it. :) For those of you who want the look of Noir Ceramic without having to go searching for it, or without dishing out $50+ on ebay, check out OPI's Black Onyx (similar to Chanel's Black Satin), Shu Uemura's ME 083, or Lippman's Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

No comments: